THIS MAKES A THICK, HEARTY GREEN STEW — should be enough for about 16 people to have a hearty bowl.
16 oz dry posole, soaked in salt water 24 hrs, changing water every 6 hrs
8 oz dry pinto beans, rinsed and soaked 10 hrs, drained
2 – 2 1/2lb pork tenderloin, sliced into 1.5″ pieces before cooking
16 oz Hatch green chilis
6 oz poblano peppers, seeded and minced fine
4 oz carrot, shredded
4 oz celery, sliced thin
4 oz chopped frozen spinach
16 oz sweet white onion, chopped
10+ c chicken stock
1 head of garlic, peeled (slice thin each clove)
16 oz fresh sweet corn, cut off the cob
2 -10z cans Rotel tomatoes, drained (reserve juice)
16 oz russet potatoes, chopped into 1/2″ cubes
1/2 c butter
2 t ground cumin
2 t sugar
1 T salt
1 T fresh ground black pepper (course ground)
1 oz chopped fresh cilantro
2 T fresh lime juice
2 t rubbed sage
1/2 t cayenne (or to taste)
1 t ground jalapeno pepper
4 oz pickled jalapeno pepper for garnish
12 oz sliced ripe avocado, soaked in lime juice for garnish
1/2″ lumps of queso blanco for garnish
10-12qt pot with tight fitting lid
- saute onion in butter until it begins to caramelize. Add shredded carrots, celery, and minced poblano pepper and continue to saute until onions brown. Add cubes of pork tenderloin and extra olive oil if needed and seer the meat so the bottom of the pot is nicely browned.
- deglaze pot with chicken stock. Add beans, Hatch chilis, potatos, black pepper, spinach, cumin, sage, salt, sugar, and garlic. Add rinsed posole and additional stock if needed to cover the pot contents. Bring to a full boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer, stirring every 30 minutes for at least 6 hrs. Add stock as needed.
- Add corn off the cob, Rotel tomatoes, ground jalapeno to taste and re-season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Bring back to boil, and simmer another hour
- If the meat has not already fallen apart, remove chunks of meat and shred them with a fork, then return them to the pot.
- Serve in deep bowls with lumps of queso blanco and slices of avocado. Garnish with a slice of pickled jalapeno.