Here’s a recipe to try instead — Basic white (navy, great northern etc) bean soup. It’s not vegetarian — but the bacon is a seasoning — not the source of protein. The beans are much healthier than any meaty protien anyway….
1 lb navy or great norther white beans, soaked 8 hrs/overnight and drained
1 strip of bacon, cooked crisp in bottom of the pot, then crushed/snipped into tiny pieces
4 oz scallions, chopped fine
1 carrot, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf (remove after soup is done)
salt and pepper to taste
8+ c chicken / pork / ham stock
1 jar baby food sweet potatos (basically 3 oz of mashed sweet potato)
- cut bacon into 1″ pieces and fry until crusp. Remove bacon pieces to cool on a plate, and add stock to pot with bacon drippings. Crush bacon into smaller than 1/4″ bits.
- Add stock, beans, bacon, and all veggies to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med so the soup is just barely bubbling and cover, leaving a slight vent for steam to escape.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for 2-3 hours, until beans are tender.
- Remove 1 c of beans and broth from the pot and puree in a blender, then add back into the pot (careful with the hot soup in a blender. Alternatively, use a stick blender in the pot for 4-5 seconds.
- Serve with toast, or hot bread
A pot of soup like this should easily feed 6 people with bread, for under $6.00.