3.5-4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken beat
1/4 c EV Olive Oil
2 lb sweet white onion, chopped
2 lg bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1/4 c chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t garlic salt
2 t kosher salt
1/2 t dried thyme
3 T Penzey’s Chicken Taco Seasoning
2 T Penzey’s Chili Con Carne Seasoning
1/2 t chipotle chili powder
1/2 t smoked, hot paprika
1 x 15oz can diced tomatoes w/ mild green chilis
6 c chicken stock or water
rice, pasta, or Fritos; shredded cheese (queso fresco, jack, colby, or cheddar) and sliced pickled jalepenos
- into an 8qt soup pot, add chopped onions and peppers and saute in olive oil until translucent, and beginning to caramelize
- deglaze the pan with water or stock, then add chicken breasts and all seasoning except the Penzey’s chicken taco blend. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat so that the pot continues to bubble vigorously when partially covered. Be sure to leave a good sized vent between the lid and the pot so the broth will reduce somewhat as the chicken cooks.
- Simmer in this way for at least 1-1/2 hrs
- Using fork and a large spo0n, shred tender-cooked chicken in the pot so that the chicken distributes.
- Add tomatoes/green chilis and chicken taco seasoning and continue to simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Re-season for salt, and serve over rice, fritos, or pasta with shredded cheese and pickled jalapenos if desired.
Served 2:1 over rice, fritos or pasta, this should serve 10 with leftovers.