1 1/2 lb cube steak
1 lb sweet onion – sliced 1/2″ thick rings
1/2 lb bell pepper, sliced into 1/4-1/2″ strips
1 lb new potatoes, cut 1/2″ slices
1/2 lb celery, cut into 1/2″ chunks
1 lb baby cut carrots
1/2 lb zucchini, sliced 1/4″
1 1/2 lb med roma tomatoes, blanched and skins removed, quartered
1 c buttermilk
1 c flour
salt and pepper
1/2 t cayenne
1 t thyme
12 oz V-8
2 c double strength beef stock
1/2 c butter
water, as needed
- seal 4 x 6oz cue steaks in a ziplock or other tightly sealed container with buttermilk overnight
- prepare all veggies as described, and combine. Toss with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- season steaks generously with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour until completely coated. Set aside for 10 minutes
- toss remaining flour into veggies
- heat butter to med. in deep cast iron roasting pan (such as La Creuset, or enameled Lodge) When hot, add steaks to butter and brown thoroughly on both sides.
- Remove steaks from pan, and deglaze pan with beef stock, stirring to loosen browned flour bits. Add V-8 to stock, and heat until boiling. Add steaks back into stock.
- Cover steaks with combined seasoned veggies.
- Return to a boil, then cover tightly and reduce heat to a high simmer
- Simmer 30 minutes, then use a spatula to turn contents of the pan so that the steaks are on top of the veggies, and vegetables are mostly submerged in sauce. Recover the pan, and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Stir contents of pan again. If the stock is reduced by too much, or too thick (it should be the consistency of a rich broth) then add water and increase heat to a hot simmer again. Cover and simmer another 30 minutes on low.