Recipe makes a large bread machine loaf
8 lg or 10 reg slices
2.5 c bread flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c pitted and chopped green olive*
1/3 c pitted and chopped kalamata olives
1 T minced sun-dried tomatoes
1 T drained and rinsed capers
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t basil
1/2 t thyme
1 T olive oil
1/4 c Cabot cheddar powder**
1 T honey
2 oz + 1 T freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 1/4 c slightly warmer than room temp water
2.5 t bread machine yeast
2 T vital wheat gluten
- Combine flour, cheddar powder, wheat gluten, garlic and herbs and add to bread machine
- Combine olives, capers and sun-dried tomatoes
- Add warm water, olive oil and honey to bread machine, plus the yeast and start the whole wheat bread cycle
- After bread dough has been mixing and 1st knead, add olive mixture (just before first rise)
- just before second rise is complete, use a soft spatula and “cut” a 1-inch deep well down the center of the loaf and add parmesan cheese to the split and to the top of the loaf. Allow to bake as usual.
If you prefer to bake your bread in a conventional oven, add the parmesan and then allow dough to rise slightly (another 15 minutes in a warm place) before baking as usual.
*3/4 c of the Olive Salad (recipe on this site), drained and chopped can be substituted for olives and olive oil in this recipe.
**Cabot’s cheddar powder contains both buttermilk powder and sodium, so this covers part of the needed sugars and salts for the loaf. The salt of the capers and olives provides more than enough salt for a standard loaf of bread.
Go to links on the home page of this site to access Cabot’s.