Serves 8 as a meal
4 lbs Vidalia or other sweet onions, sliced: 1/2″ rings
1/2 c butter
1 med carrot, grated
3 med leeks, white + 4″ of green, washed well and sliced thin
4-5 scallions, sliced 1/4″ including 4″ of green
4 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 c fresh basil, sliced and ground in mortar/pestle with garlic
1 T rubbed sage
2 bay leaves
3 t salt
8 c chicken stock, heated
1/4 c honey
1 c heavy cream
8 whole eggs
grated asiago cheese
- heat chicken stock and whisk honey into it until blended
- caramelize onion rings in butter
- deglaze pan with chicken stock/honey mixture, then add remaining vegetables and seasonings/herbs and bring to a low boil. Allow to low-boil for 45 minutes to 1 hr, until soup has reduced by about 10-15%, or 1 qt.
- grate asiago and set aside
- preheat 8 (or correct number for your dinner) deep, 16-24oz soup bowls by filling them with very hot water. (you will empty each just before you fill it with soup.)
- Add heavy cream and bring to just barely boiling.
- Taste soup and adjust salt to taste; remove bay leaves
- Ladel soup into bowls, one at a time, filling to at least 2/3 full. As soon as soup is in a bowl, crack an egg into it, then dust with asiago cheese and black pepper. Set each bowl aside in a warm place for 4-5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with crusty bread and fresh ground black pepper
*The added time at the end will allow the nearly boiling soup to “coddle” the egg cracked into it. If you are afraid this is not sufficient time, your bowls were not hot enough etc. each bowl can be placed into a microwave oven for 25 seconds just before serving.