This is a “presentation” soup —
It should be served in deep soup bowls seated on 8-9″ plates.
1 1/2 lb young asparagus spears, reserve 2.5″ tips
1/2 lb yellow squash, sliced thin
1/2 lb zuchini, sliced thin
4 oz carrot, shredded
1/2 lb shitake mushrooms, diced
3 T butter
2 lg boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3-4 shallots, sliced thin
1/2 c corn kernels
salt to taste
1 c heavy cream
1/4 c fresh tarragon, pressed w/ mortar/pestle
8 c chicken stock
- In a large soup pot, bring stock, chicken breasts, tarragon, shallots, zuchini, squash, and all but 2 1/2″ of tip of the asparagus to a boil. Simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from soup and dice to about 1/2″ – set aside
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup and season to taste w/ salt
- Add shredded carrot, diced chicken, and corn kernels to the pot and return to a very hot simmer, uncovered
- In a large bottomed skillet, melt butter and saute asparagus tips and mushrooms together
- when soup has reduced by 25%, it is ready to serve.
Serve in very hot bowls. Fill each bowl no more than 1/2 full, then pour 1 oz cream straight into the middle of the bowl so that it pours deep and then floats. Into the pool of white cream, add garnish of mushroom/asparagus tips. Serve with pieces of crusty bread on the side.