This recipe makes 52 x 2 oz “cookies” that get an A-rating from CalorieCount.com as a hi-nutrition food/lo-empty calorie food
Each cookie has:
fat 1o.5/sat fat 4.9
Vit.A 17%/Calcium 16%/Iron 8% of RDA
32 oz bulk sausage
24 oz 2% cheddar cheese
5 large eggs
6 oz Parm/Romano cheese blend
4 oz carrot
4 oz jalapeno
8 oz onion
7 oz All Bran
6 oz oat bran
1/3 c rye flour
3 T paprika
2 T black pepper
2 T sage
1 t cayenne
- Grate/shred carrots and onion. Finely mince the pickled jalepeno slices (drain them on paper towels first, and discard some or all of the seeds if you don’t like thinks so spicy….)
- In a large bowl, combine veggies with sausage, shredded cheese, and beaten eggs until thoroughly mixed.
- Mix dry ingredients with seasonings and knead into the sausage mixture
- Chill mixture for 30 minutes, allowing flavors to meld
- Using a 1/4c measure, make 2oz “mounds” of batter on a Pam’d sheet cake pan, or a pan lined with a Silpat liner
- Bake in a hot 360 oven for approx. 20-24 minutes on a sheet cake pan. Check for doneness to make sure they are cooked through. They should be golden brown and slightly crusty from toasted cheese. Remove immediately to paper towels, then either serve hot, or transfer to ziplocks when cool.
- Excellent out of the freezer and into the microwave, 1 or 2 at a time.
Aim for the healthiest ingredients possible. Jimmy Dean natural bulk sausage has no added hormones or anti-biotics, MSG, or chemical preservatives and is an excellent choice. Bob’s Red Mill makes organic rolled oats and oat bran cereal — Penzey’s Spices lets you choose from 4 excellent paprikas, and has the freshest, best flavoured sage on the market! Great ingredients make for great cooking!