I know what you’re thinking — everybody knows spinach is good for you — Popeye told us that 65 years ago (has it been that long?) The trick of this salad is HOW MANY so-called “superfoods” and top ideas it uses in one meal!
This recipe serves 1 as a whole meal,
or 2 as a side salad to
accompany a soup or sandwich.
- 1 1/2 c washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 c washed baby kale leaves
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 oz avocado, cubed
- 1 oz shelled, toasted pumpkin seeds (salted work fine as there is very little added salt in this salad)
- 1 oz grated maroon carrot
- 1/4 c scallions, sliced thin, including green parts
- 3 oz shrimp, peeled, veined and chopped
- 1 hard boiled egg, minced fine
- 1 oz pickled jalapeno peppers, diced fine
- 1/4 c dried or fresh blueberries, soaked in 2 T balsamic vinegar for 30 minutes (while you prepare everything else)
- 1 T Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T greek yogurt
- 1 T honey
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- pinch ground clove
- 1 t fresh ground black pepper
- pinch salt
Whisk the oil, vinegar, yogurt and honey together and then add the spices. Toss with the greens right before composing salad.
If you use croutons, use fresh croutons made from barley or oat bread!