I made one thing to eat while watching the Superbowl this year — It cooked for 6 hours, and should make meals for the rest of the week! One Recipe will make about 10 generous sandwiches with nothing added except maybe a smear of sweet BBQ sauce. — or go the not-sandwich route and put a generous serving on a baked potato (russet OR sweet-potato). Or maybe even on a bed of rice!
Pulled Pork with Peppers & Onions: (the smell is heavenly)
4 lb boneless pork (roast, tenderloin — you pick — I used tenderloin)
5 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 1/2 can water to get all the sauce
2 lb sweet onions, sliced thick
1 med lime, sliced
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 bottle Cholulu Chipotle pepper sauce
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c Fire Cider (infused apple cider vinegar) — or use a vinegar-based pepper sauce like Trappey’s Red Devil
1/2 c diced bell pepper
1 T fresh ground (fine) black pepper
I don’t sear the meat or saute anything —
- just pour the olive oil in a cold 5-6 qt braising pan
- then add the meat, crush the peppers into the adobo sauce
- add sliced onions and lime and other seasonings
- bring the pan up to bubbling
- turn it down to a low setting & cover it
- walk away to enjoy later in the day
It simmers for 6 hours — until the meat cuts and pulls apart (pulled pork!) with a fork.
7. Take out the remainder of the lime slices and bay leaves
8. pull the pork in bite-sized shreds and chunks, and mix it with the sauce and onions/peppers
Enjoy it on a toasted bun as is, or add a little extra sweet/smoky BBQ sauce and perhaps some thinly sliced red onions, or a little sweet pickle relish stacked on the bun!